Android Oreo 8.1 introduces new features, including Android Go, Neural Networks API, Autofill framework enhancements, SharedMemory API, and many more.
We’re excited to announce Xamarin.Android support for Android Oreo 8.1 in our latest release of Xamarin.Android for both Visual Studio and Visual Studio for Mac.
Installing Xamarin.Android for Android Oreo 8.1
You can get Android Oreo support in Xamarin.Android 188.8.131.52 and above, which is available today in the Visual Studio Preview channel and Visual Studio for Mac Beta channel.
- Open the Visual Studio Installer, and download the latest Preview (15.6 Preview 2).
Visual Studio for Mac
- Switch the Visual Studio for Mac Update Channel to the Beta channel.
- Ensure Xamarin.Android 184.108.40.206 is available for download and install the updates.
Both Visual Studio and Visual Studio for Mac
Install the Android Oreo 8.1 SDK
Start the Android SDK Manager:
- Visual Studio, use Tools > Android > Android SDK Manager
- Visual Studio for Mac, use Tools > SDK Manager
Install Android 8.1(API 27) SDKs and Device Images:
After restarting Visual Studio, you’ll be able to set your <TargetFrameworkVersion> to Android 8.1 (Oreo) in your project and take advantage of the new APIs:
For more detailed information on how to get started with Android Oreo, please see our documentation.
We encourage your feedback on any issues to be reported via the Report a Problem option found in your favorite IDE via Help > Report a Problem. If you have any questions regarding Android Oreo APIs, please post them on the Xamarin Forums or Stack Overflow.